Haiku Deck produces smart, to-the-point visual presentations that your audience will remember. It includes features you need with none of the “stuff” you never use.
If you want to get your message across and leave a lasting impression, experts recommend that you incorporate visual elements into your communication. We all think in pictures. John Berger, media theorist, writes in his book Ways of Seeing,
“Seeing comes before words. The child looks and recognizes before it can speak.”
Dr. Lynell Burmark, Ph.D. Associate at the Thornburg Center for Professional Development and writer of several books and papers on visual literacy, said,
“…unless our words, concepts, ideas are hooked onto an image, they will go in one ear, sail through the brain, and go out the other ear.”
That is not the outcome you want for your presentation. Incorporating effective, relevant graphical images is a challenge for most. Just getting a pleasing layout, template and color selection can take an hour or more. Selecting graphics for your presentations can be very time-consuming. Once you select an image, you need to make sure that you have the rights to use the image. You don’t want the image police sending you a nasty-gram with a big penalty attached. It happened to me!
Haiku Deck can rescue you from all of these challenges and help you get your message across to your next audience from 1 to 1,000. It is free, simple to create, and share your masterpiece in many formats, platforms and services. By incorporating some of the golden rules of presentations from wizards like Guy Kawasaki and Roger Courville, Haiku Deck has made it almost impossible to create an ugly presentation.
There are four simple steps to create your presentation.
1. Start with a few ideas – Get your key points down, one per slide without worrying about formatting, layout and other time-sucking hurdles and obstacles.
2. Add amazing images – This is my favorite part of Haiku Deck. Based on the words you entered in Step 1, you are presented with key words about your message. Click on one of the suggested words or type in your own, and you are presented with beautiful, full screen images that have some connection to your keyword. Recently, they have added the ability to search for images from Getty Images. There is a small fee of $1.99 for an image if you want to use one of theirs. If neither of these options satisfies your need, you can import your own images to use. I have used this capability to include a company logo or screen shot into my presentations.
3. Pick the perfect look – Now that you have your key points and your image, you are presented with a visual choice of layouts to consider for each slide in your deck. This is very helpful to make sure that your message compliments your image and vice versa. You can keep the layout the same for every slide or switch things up a bit – you choose. Haiku Deck has incorporated proven presentation guidelines throughout each step so your presentation is guaranteed to dazzle.
4. Share your creation – Now that your presentation is ready to go, Haiku Deck provides you with multiple options to share your deck or print it out. You decide whether you want your presentation Public or Private, export to PowerPoint or Keynote, save it as a PDF, embed in on your website or blog, or even just grab the URL to include in an email. You can also select to share with one click to Facebook, Twitter or email. You can even publish to SlideShare.
Of course, there are other options available if you would like to use them like the ability to add notes to your slides, and then to make them public for the viewer to see or private, just viewable by you. There is also a very slick chart generator that fits right in with the overall design considerations of Haiku Deck.
Creating presentations are a reality for most of us in business. Haiku Deck will open up an entirely new way for you to create your presentations.
Up until now, Haiku Deck was available on an iPad only. Readers of Fill the Funnel are being given access to the web-based version of Haiku Deck. By clicking here on this link, you will be invited into the PRIVATE BETA of this new version. Free – Powerful – Easy to Use.
- Download Haiku Deck from the Apple Store if you have an iPad
- Register for the private beta to use Haiku Deck from any device with an internet connection.
- Leave a comment with a link to your masterpieces below. We all want to see the results.
Here is an example of one of my recent Haiku Decks: